We are enjoying our visit to Honolulu on the always beautiful island of Oahu in Hawaii. Yesterday we visited the Pearl Harbor Memorial and met a 92 year old Pearl Harbor survivor of the day which has lived in infamy, Dec. 7, 1941. Herb Weatherwax was born in Oahu and was at Pearl Harbor during the attack on Pearl Harbor by the Japanese. Herb later served in the Battle of the Bulge before fighting in Germany.
Raised in Hawaii, Herb found the Midwest winters too cold and returned to the Hawaiian Islands after World War II. Herb can be found volunteering at the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center three days a week. He enjoys meeting with and signing autographs for the thousands of visitors he meets each year.
Click on the image below to view this episode of “Where Are You Today?” Turn up your speakers and listen as Herbert Weatherwax introduces himself to you. Enjoy this history moment of history.
I am very grateful to have met several Pearl Harbor survivors on my travels to Hawaii. Many of these soldiers toured the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center last year for the final Pearl Harbor Survivors reunion. As they reach their 90′s it is harder for them to travel, especially long distances. Here are the stories of other Pearl Harbor survivors.
- Bill Temple http://aprilmwilliams.com/final-hawaii-reunion-for-pearl-harbor-survivor-william-temple/
- Stan Reynolds http://aprilmwilliams.com/pearl-harbor-survivor-stan-reynolds-at-last-reunion/
- Dave Davenport http://aprilmwilliams.com/aloha-pearl-harbor-survivor-dave-davenport/
- Robert Ruffato http://aprilmwilliams.com/pearl-harbor-survivor-robert-ruffato-returns-to-hawaii/
- Mal Middlesworth http://www.808talk.com/2009/12/11/mal-middlesworth-remembers-pearl-harbor/